Folding an empanada is both a science and an art. The technique requires holding the open empanada with one hand and using the other hand to crimp the outer edge and form a distinctive shape.
Of course, there are some folds easier than others. It requires time and practice to do it effectively and have a good looking finish work.
- Moisten the edges of the disk-shaped dough
- Place the filling in the center of the disk-shaped dough.
- Make sure not to place too much filling (usually 1 table spoon - 1.7oz)
- Fold the dough in half and press the edges to secure the filling
- Seal the empanada by crimping the edge
- Prick the dough with a fork to stop it form rising and opening the empanada during the baking
There are many different ways of crimping the dough. Here is a video tutorial on how to make some typical foldings, from All About Empanadas
If you find it hard but still want to make empanadas, you can always resort to using a fork:
Now it's your turn! tell us which one did you try and which fold worked best for you.